Our roots anchor us when so much of our busy lives can displace us.
Simple is always going to feel better to our spirit than busy, complicated, and overwhelmed.
Walking barefoot always feels better than with shoes on.
My Practices for Getting Rooted
- Simplify your schedule. Say “no” more often. Create a schedule that gives you space and allows you to get what you need done. One thing you can do is schedule this time in. I write on my schedule things like “Beth Time.” This way I am more likely to honor that time.
- Create a self-care routine. Routine creates balance and makes us happy. We all have a routine that when we are busy we easily forget. Getting rooted means adding some element of a self-care routine into our daily lives. For me it’s my morning tea and journal followed by some asana.
- Eat grounding foods. Some foods lighten and others ground. I need grains to feel grounded and connected to Earth. I also need unctuous comfort foods to feel nourished. Get connected to the Earth by eating healthy, organic, wholesome and nourishing foods for your body.
- Plant your bare feet on the Earth. We all need more time to feel the Earth beneath our feet—not pavement. When we connect to the Earth’s energy we reconnect to ourselves.
- Getting Rooted Meditation.
Start in a comfortable cross-legged position, sitting on blankets, a meditation cushion or sit outside in nature. Close your eyes and allow your organs of perception to be quiet and passive. Become aware of your breath spending a few moments connecting to yourself. As you breathe bring your awareness to your exhale. Allow the exhale to be longer than your inhale so that the exhale releases tension throughout the body. Next, bring your attention to the base of your spine at the tailbone. Imagine roots reaching down through the Earth grounding you to the core of the Earth’s energy. Now, bring that energy up through those roots all the way up your spine to the crown of your head. Pause. On your next exhale allow Earth energy to flow back down from the crown of your head all the way back down the spine. Release all that is no longer needed. You can continue to practice in this way, or come back to regular breathing.
You can listen to the meditation below. :
P.S-This is my first attempt at adding a recording here. I will say my gratitude now to Mercury for being kind and graceful on this first attempt.