“You can search the whole universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than yourself. Since each and every person is so precious to themselves, let the self-respecting harm no other being.” Buddha
In my own self-practice when I have not felt so great about myself and have gone to beating myself, I have used what I am calling my sticky-love-note exercise. This is where I post sticky notes to my mirror with little love notes to myself. Things like ‘I am strong,’ ‘I can…’ ‘I am love,’ or ‘I am grounded.’ It’s a powerful exercise, and it takes me completely out of my head-story and into love. You may find that after you do this a couple of times that you become sticky-love-note obsessed, and keenly aware of all of the ways that you are precious. This week buy some sticky notes, lots of them, and celebrate YOU!
Make a list of all the ways you shine. Create a special night just for YOU. Treat yourself with extra special care. Show yourself how precious you are. Take a break from all of the ways you don’t love and accept yourself. Let this practice become your everyday!
In class today we focused on this very theme, and this is the very yummy asana sequence we practiced. It’s about being in your body, and taking the time with your very divine self.
1. Meditation. Bring your awareness to whole your body. Inhale love to your whole body. Exhale. Sit for 10-minutes in this way.
2. Adho Mukha Svanasana (hold for 2 minutes)- use hands on blocks and rest head (3-rd eye region) on bolster, or block with blankets to the right height for your body.
3. Uttanasana (hold for 1 minute)-rest top of head on blocks to the appropriate height so that the legs will extend straight.
4. Utthita Trikonasana
5. Prasarita Padottanasana
8. Virasana with eyes closed
*Hold all forward folding asanas for approximately 1-2 minutes.
9. Dandasana to Gomukhasana with forward fold
10. Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana
11. Triang Mukhaikapada Paschimottanasana
12. Upavista Konasana in forward fold
Hold all supine asanas for approximately 5-7 minutes.
13. Setu Bandha over a bolster-strap thighs, place block under feet
14. Supta Badha Konasana
15. Extended Svanasana